Technology

Don’t Blame Google For Nexus 5X Failure

By  |

It’s easy to say that the Nexus 5X is one of Google’s most hated devices, but it’s probably more reasonable to say that it’s one of Google’s least favored Nexus releases instead. Sure, it has its fans, but there aren’t that many around.

The question is whether Google really did screw up with the Nexus 5X, or was its failure actually a result of other factors instead. The latter looks more likely to be the case, though of course Google didn’t exactly make all the right calls as well.

But how do we know that the Nexus 5X was a failure? Is there proof that it had trouble attracting buyers? According to an Android Authority report last year, the device was unlike the Nexus 4 and 5 in that it never faced any shortages.

In other words, its predecessors sold like hot cakes (and yes, the Nexus 6P as well), but it remained so well-stocked since its launch that Google had to resort to drastic price cuts.

Blame The Source

So if Google is not to blame, then who’s main the culprit? Well, it’s worth taking a look at LG, which was in charge of churning out physical units of the Nexus 5X. If you’re among those who have been frustrated by the device due to its poor performance or tendency to boot loop, LG’s the villain you’re looking for.

Google was responsible for designing and pricing the Nexus 5X, and had no hand in what goes on during its production, so the one thing that the company could be faulted for is the device’s ridiculous initial price of $380 for its base 16GB model. And $430 for the 32GB model sounds pretty stupid as well.

Thankfully, Google has fixed that issue as the Nexus 5X costs only $200 now. Everything else is on LG – boot loops and performance issues are the result of poor reliability, and that comes from substandard manufacturing practices. In fact, the 5X isn’t the only device from LG riddled with problems – just ask anyone who owns an LG G4 or G5.

The device’s boot loop issue is purely a hardware ailment, and LG’s admission of guilt has made that pretty clear. Rather than deny any fault, the Korean OEM started offering full refunds to all Nexus 5X owners experiencing the issue at the end of last year.

1. Just

February 24, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Actually, I kinda like the 5X

• David

February 26, 2017 at 3:45 am

same. other than the below average speaker, it’s been my best phone.

The Nexus 5 doesn’t even compare. Build quality was atrocious.

• Marco

February 26, 2017 at 5:58 am

Yeah, it’s actually a really good phone, I haven’t experienced any performance problems at all

2. Arturo Benedetti

February 25, 2017 at 7:11 am

Not at Fault? But then Google continues to sell a product they know has major hardware issues, just the UNluck of the draw? Buyers beware Google doesn’t care! If they did, they would stop selling a very faulty device that’s doomed to failure, whose purchasers will be stuck with. As time progresses, Google professes to validate themselves by selling the 5X at discounted prices, such a DEAL! Promoting a faulty device to the unaware purchaser, knowing it will fail and also knowing that Google will benefit financially by playing the odds that some will discard the device long before it’s lifespan ends and buy yet another Google smart phone. How about all those on Google payment plans still owing more money on a faulty device that’s lumbering along. Like betting on a horse that everyone knows is fixed to loose while an uninformed hopeful sucker bets his milk money hoping for a good product at a fair price? Gee Google let’s be honest now, and recall and CASH-OUT all the 5X’s.

3. Mariusz

February 25, 2017 at 7:22 am

5x owner here. It’s a brilliant phone, very good specs for relatively little money. Never experienced any problems and thus I wouldn’t call this model a failure at all.

4. Jez Winnington

February 25, 2017 at 8:16 am

I like mine too.

5. Bob

February 25, 2017 at 9:09 am

I’ve owned both the 5x and the G4. I never had problems with either one. They were great phones.

6. Richard

February 25, 2017 at 9:39 am

This is a weird little article, speaking as a drive-by reader sent here by Google Now… I bought a 32GB 5X for around US$265 last summer and have generally been very happy with it as an all-round phone – good size, good value, decent camera, nice screen, fast updates, fair performance. Calling it a failure seems a pretty big stretch.

7. Palkab

February 25, 2017 at 10:17 am

5x still going strong, no issues at all. The only downside I think is the subpar camera. To call this a failed phone is a bit harsh.

8. Nick

February 25, 2017 at 10:47 am

Yeah, it’s great when the phone you’re still making payments on for another year bootloops less than a week out of warranty and the carrier and OEM both balk at any sort of resolution.

9. Tina Stockwell

February 25, 2017 at 10:53 am

My 5x has developed major problems since 7.1.1 update which LG have not been able to fix.

10. Guy Stevens

February 25, 2017 at 12:14 pm

I had a 5x made by LG it had a memory error and I sent it in for the refund in November. It is now the end of February and I still don’t have my money.

I would never buy anything made by LG again. The company is one of the least customer focused companies that I have ever dealt with.

Their failures to produce a quality product are easy to find with a simple search of the internet.

11. Dave

February 25, 2017 at 9:07 pm

I blame LG. I paid $400 at release, and it was great to 12.5 months. Then the dreaded boot loop. I sent my TX to LG and got it back two weeks later with a rattle. After all the updates, back into a boot loop. Being on project Fi, I asked Google, and two days later a refurbished 5x arrived. The Google refurbished 5x is working great with no rattles. I know two others with 5x phone and no problems, but they got theirs a couple of weeks later. So I blame LG for poor quality control on the first batch, and terrible service.