Technology

Google Can Learn From Nexus 5X Mistakes

By  |

It was a wrong move by Google to sell off Motorola. Although it may have seem like a good idea at that time, it just doesn’t seem to hold anymore. This is because the Nexus 6 is an excellent device that LG and Huawei’s production can’t measure up to.

It’s true that it was the Nexus 6P that ignited the Nexus program to a whole new level but one can’t help but wonder if the device would have been that much better if Motorola had a hand in it instead of Huawei.

The Nexus 6P may have been a good continuation after the Nexus 6 but the Nexus 5X was no where near to the Nexus 5. Most folks did not like the Nexus 5X which led it to record low sales numbers for the device.

Based on a survey by Droid-Life, buyers are more inclined toward the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and the Nexus 6P, rather than the Nexus 5X. The device, measuring at 5.2-inches, seems to sit at the lowest spot on the popularity list.

It’s becoming evident that Google is also having issues in trying to sell the Nexus 5X, despite the fact that the $150 discount via the Project Fi is still running for the device. The device is currently going for the lowest price of $199, a significant difference from its original $349 price.

The Nexus 5X had began at a price tag of $379. This shows that the device has went through two discounts yet it’s odd that its sales numbers are still very low.

Having said that, its 5.7-inch kin seems to be faring better as it has completely wiped up its stock for some time during August last year, even though it’s promotional price has been discontinued.

Google and LG really messed up with the Nexus 5X, starting with its introductory price tag. As if that wasn’t enough, almost half of users had reported of numerous performance problems with their device.

On top of that, almost all Nexus 5X users have complained of terrible lag problems on its camera software while a small percentage of users reported of experiencing LG’s infamous boot loop problem.

Besides that, the Nexus 5X is bigger than the Nexus 5 and that may have affected the form factor which boosted the 2013’s model’s appeal.

1. Dale Sundstrom

January 5, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I love my 5X. It has performed excellently, and it’s the perfect size for me.

It didn’t sell well mainly because it doesn’t have the premium feel of phones like the 6P. But I much prefer it’s size and weight, and it feels great with the right skin or case. It’s one of the best bargains available with the Project Fi discount. Project Fi is also under-appreciated, and an excellent value for those who use Wi-Fi for most of their mobile data.

• J O L PLANT

January 6, 2017 at 1:19 am

Same, no problems with software either

• Blah

January 6, 2017 at 4:04 am

No problems, love it

• JT

January 6, 2017 at 8:58 pm

This is the best phone I have owned, crystal clear viewing, good call quality, sharp OS, and amazing camera. Project Fi is still the best kept secret out there my wife and I both are on it now and you cannot touch the price and service….Bar none!

• Drones

January 7, 2017 at 1:57 am

Love my 5X. I don’t understand all the bad press it’s getting. My updates happen on time and zero battery, camera or software issues till now.

2. John

January 5, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I have a 5x and had a Nexus 5. Other than the 5x being a bit homely, it is a great phone. The battery, camera and speed are far superior to the 5. The problem was that it was launched with the 6P, which made it seem like the ugly stepchild of the Nexus line, and at too high a price. Once the impression was set, price cuts weren’t going to change minds. As I always use a case, I don’t care if it is plastic. It just works and it actually fits in my pocket.

3. RC Swain

January 5, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I have loved my Nexus 5X! I also love Google Project Fi. It is great not to have have a bunch of carrier add-ons and constant notifications.

• Pamela D

January 6, 2017 at 4:54 am

I’ve got the sim when I purchased my pixel, but been hesitant to go with it. I use quite a bit of data, and they say it’s good for people who use less. But I don’t really understand the data usage. I’m scared lol

4. Jackie Mowlem

January 6, 2017 at 4:39 am

As much as I love my 5x. It’s all of a sudden started playing up. Doing it on average once or twice a week. When it does this. It’s a pain. Takes about ten minutes to get it to re boot. But otherwise, it’s the best phone I’ve had.

5. Pamela D

January 6, 2017 at 4:51 am

I had a nexus 4, still have my 5 and 5x – love them both. Awesome phones. I’ve just started using the pixel and so far no complaints with it either. I vere went for the 6 or 6x. When the others fit my needs at a lower price.

6. Mario

January 6, 2017 at 5:20 am

I’m more than pleased and quite happy with my N5X, best phone I’ve had so far. No problems at all, except the large price drop soon after I bought it.

7. Sammy

January 6, 2017 at 6:13 am

I am absolutely satisfied with my 5x

8. Divakar Kuppan

January 6, 2017 at 6:29 am

I just can’t agree man…it’s been 1year with my Nexus 5x and it’s my 3rd mobile after Windows and apple sets…I tell u wat,its a wonderful phone and it’s camera quality on low light photography is incomparable.

9. Bruno

January 6, 2017 at 6:50 am

Me too, having owned a nexus 5 and 2 nexus 5x, i am loving it. Excellent phone for the price, provided you but it at some discount. Nexus 5x, like every phone or there have some issues, but nothing terrible.

10. Matt

January 6, 2017 at 8:06 am

I love it when journalists make these irresponsible comparisons. The 6p and 5x are not even close to being in the same class. #clickbait

11. David

January 6, 2017 at 8:16 am

I have a Nexus 5X and couldn’t be happier. Haven’t had any problems whatsoever. Maybe you should try using it before posting these comments just repeating ad-nauseum what you have read somewhere. And what kind of article makes bold claims that almost all users have had performance and camera problems, without showing some references?

12. Mary

January 6, 2017 at 8:19 am

I love my 5X. It’s exactly what I wanted without a contract and without a monthly payment. As far as the phone itself; I like that I can control what comes in as far as notifications or if I want to use wifi only, etc. The camera isn’t perfect, but it meets my needs. I usually take pics of my dog for Instagram. I don’t have the complaints I’ve read about. That being said, I hope I haven’t jinxed myself.
    It’s been a good phone, fits in my hand, charges quickly, works when I need it. I have no complaints.

13. Len churm

January 6, 2017 at 8:45 am

I really enjoy my 5X

14. Ahmed

January 6, 2017 at 10:02 am

I loved the Nexus 5 and Nexus 5x and now I’m using Google pixel and I never had any problems with all 3 devices.
    I’ve read about a some problems with pixel phone but I haven’t experienced any so far and I love it! Awesome! Google pixel 32gb

15. James Womack

January 6, 2017 at 10:19 am

Other than genuinely poor battery life, I’ve had ZERO issues with my 5X purchased from Project Fi in June 2016. I went through both of the major OS upgrades that bricked many units with no problems at all. It’s the best phone I’ve owned.

16. Barbara

January 6, 2017 at 10:41 am

Love my nexus 5x

17. L Churm

January 6, 2017 at 11:50 am

Ithink the Nexus 5X is a great device.

18. Luisoman

January 6, 2017 at 11:51 am

Don’t know what they are taking about… Went from Nexus 4, to one plus one, then to Nexus 5X. So far it has been excellent. Don’t think I’ll be or will need to upgrade for another year or so. Love the size, love the camera, good battery life, latest Android, access to all sorts of customizations and upgrade with an excellent development community, rugged..ish design (black).

19. Thomas Evans

January 6, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I bought a 5x solely for trying out project fi. Couple months afterwards and I bought another 5x and my wife switched to fi as well.

I had some minor issues with the camera app on mine, but the 7.1.1 update solved that, and my wife had some wifi calling oddities, and that was due to hangouts being affected by doze.

The phone itself is great, I’m rough on devices so we got cases, and my case is covered in scratches from work (I’m a mechanic)

I only wish someone made a waterproof case like the OtterBox I had on my Samsung s3 and s4.

20. John M

January 6, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I personally can’t stand my 5x. It is super laggy and just completely stalls out all the time. I came Frome the original Moto x that is still kicking currently, and the performance is generally better on the Moto X! The phone completely bogs down with Android Uto in my 2016 Volt. I tried my friends 6P in my car and it was flawless. I’m really annoyed by this phone and really upset I paid full price when it came out. I stay with it because it’s resale value is at a loss and I want to stick with Project Fi. I’m not completely sold on the Pixel and the 6P is just too big for my taste. I’m hoping Google comes out with something worth while on Project Fi soon or it might be time to go back to a regular carrier, which would be very unfortunate

21. Stjepan

January 6, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Also no problems here with Nexus 5X. It’s a great phone for the price. Camera is solid, especially in low light (sorry N5 owners) and battery life is quite satisfying. The phone is elegant and has a kind of purist design – no shiny lines or glass parts. No lag, camera is pretty fast, it only gets a bit hot here and there, but that’s no biggie.

22. Stjepan

January 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Nothing wrong with my Nexus 5X. It’s a great phone for the price. Camera is solid, especially in low light (sorry N5 owners) and battery life is quite satisfying. The phone is elegant and has a kind of purist design – no shiny lines or glass parts. No lag, camera is pretty fast, it only gets a bit hot here and there, but that’s no biggie.

23. Tynan

January 6, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Absolutely zero issues with the 5X over Project Fi, my 3rd, and favorite Nexus I’ve owned. The 5 was great, and stil is (I still use it as an extra device over WiFi around the house), but I wouldn’t trade my 5X for it.

And I don’t care what that survey says – The Galaxy Nexus was a turd through and through from Day 1. Sales numbers don’t always equate to a good device.

24. Narcho

January 6, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Reading this article on my 5x! No problems either.

25. Snehal Chaudhari

January 6, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I have been using 5x since a year and I never had any single problem with this phone. I works fine.and I find this size fit for my pocket. I loved it.

26. Naveen

January 6, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Even I loved my Nexus 5x great picture quality, never lags, much better than in this segment, using this phone more than an year

27. Parmod kumar

January 6, 2017 at 10:43 pm

I think Nexus 5x is much better than the other devices of Android’s. I really like it.

28. DEREK ANDERSON

January 6, 2017 at 10:56 pm

What else can you compare it to? The 5x for the price is unmatchable. When I first got my 5x the camera was unbearable. The lag is real but I changed my HD settings and it was livable. Then out of nowhere my camera wouldn’t focus on close items. No more depositing checks, scanning codes, ECT. Still like the phone. Most recently it started the boot loop and yesterday was it’s final day. After a couple messages back and forth with Google my replacement will be on its way. Extremely satisfied with Google. Also, I had the Moto z play from republic wireless and although the phone wasnt terrible their customer support is so I returned it within the 14 days. I already have 2 lines with republic and they nearly lost those as well.

29. Jack Butcher

January 7, 2017 at 7:36 am

Love the camera in the 5X.. Great photos.. Very happy with the phone.. Only thing that I am unhappy with is the usb-c connection and battery, have to charge 2 times per day..