Technology

Google Could Be Inspired By Nexus 6 Again

By  |

When it was first released, the Google Nexus 6 was considered a weirdo. People were getting into the phablet bandwagon, but mostly tolerated devices no larger than 5.7 inches. That was the limit, and anything beyond that was deemed an aberration.

There were of course other devices that measured 6.0 inches (give and take) akin the Nexus 6, but none were looked upon as well-designed. They were usually large for the sake of it.

The Nexus 6 on the other hand proved that ergonomic doesn’t always have to mean fitting snugly in one hand. Anything past 5.7 inches usually requires both hands to use. What’s impressive is that the Moto-made device feels so good to wield even without a stylus, unlike the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Unfortunately, Google has deemed the Nexus 6 a one-off effort that it doesn’t intend to recreate. The Nexus 6P and Pixel XL that have succeeded look and feel completely different, which is a shame. And now that Motorola is no longer with Google, it is safe to say that the Nexus 6 is the first and last of its kind.

But there’s reason to believe that the designers at Mountain View could revisit the Nexus 6 for inspiration in designing the Pixel and Pixel XL successors.

Google is actually asking people for feedback on the styling of its current flagships, and given that the Nexus 6 is among the most popular in the Nexus series, it could serve as a benchmark for the upcoming Pixels.

Besides, if the numerous reports are correct, we should be seeing a 6.2-inch Samsung flagship come to life in the Galaxy S8 Plus. Is Samsung looking to push the boundaries of the phablet trend? If It is, then that’s good news for all the disenchanted Nexus 6 fans out there.

1. T James

February 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm

God Please bring back the nexus line My Nexus 6 is the best phone I’ve ever had and I still don’t see a competitor out there

• M

February 24, 2017 at 3:43 am

Totally agree with you.

• Stephen

February 24, 2017 at 6:57 am

Agreed. Recently cracked my n6 and decided to just grab a oneplus 3t. For all the positive attributes of the 3T (and it really is a great phone), I cant help but notice the lack of front speakers and wireless charging, and the smaller size. Wish I could simply have an upgraded n6 with a fingerprint reader and brighter screen {my only complaint about the n6 was the screen brightness outdoors)

• Dfhj

February 24, 2017 at 8:09 am

I havent had any problems with oleds brightnes, quite opposite as its still better than any ips.

I relly can’t agree with that google would desing new phone good as n6. Pixel lineup feels like apple and thats something I personally hate.

• Daniel Muñoz Rey

February 24, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I love my Nexus 6… Is the best phone ever!… Big screen… So what!

• Alex

February 25, 2017 at 4:37 am

I agree. I’ll stay on my Nexus 6 until it’s works.

2. Anup K Babu

February 23, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Please I am waiting for a good upgrade of Nexus 6…I love this phone….I not seen any competition to this phone speaker output. Best in class.

3. Avril Dailly

February 24, 2017 at 4:30 am

Give the Nexus 6 a stylus and it would beat everything else hands down

4. Jt

February 24, 2017 at 6:02 am

Own a nexus 6 beats anything out there fantastic phone don’t find the screen too bog

5. RG

February 24, 2017 at 6:48 am

I love my Nexus6!

6. REESE melvi

February 24, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Have n6 and it was the fone from hell I had a 24 months contract and it was OK for the first two months and after the cool down periods had ended it was not working what it should be and I will give the phone a rating of-10 was it is shit

7. Marc Noorenberghe

February 24, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Anyone else have hardware issues with their Nexus 6 wifi and Bluetooth. Love this phone inside and out, and currently using it. But one day my wifi and Bluetooth died, explored all software and firmware options, seems the chips fried. I’m debating getting it repaired or replacing with oneplus3 3T. Never liked a phone more than this though

• Tony James