Technology

Samsung Sold Galaxy S6 Owners Out

By  |

If Samsung Galaxy S6 (Edge) owners had the chance to remove and replace their phone batteries, they would be so much better off even though they’d have to frequently find replacements due to the device’s tendency to get incredibly hot without reason.

So it looks like Samsung did users a disfavor by keeping the battery of its former flagship welded in. But what was the company’s reasoning in doing so? How did it justify this controversial move?

Design. Apparently, Samsung believed that the only way to achieve a thinner and sleeker design was to do away with the removable battery feature. Whether or not folks bought the spiel, they still bought the phone.

Is that really true though? Do removable batteries compromise on how thin a phone can go? Well, the Galaxy S6 (Edge) ended up measuring only 6.8mm in thickness, so there’s some truth to what Samsung is saying right?

That however doesn’t explain why the Samsung Galaxy S7, which didn’t bring back the removable battery, now measures at 7.9mm in thickness. That’s more meat than the LG G5 (7.7mm) which has a removable battery.

The truth is, Samsung sold Galaxy S6 buyers out to a pack of lies, because it actually earns the company less money to give them what they want. Why give users the option of prolonging the life of their phones via manual battery replacements? The sooner their phones are unusable, the sooner they would buy a new one.

1. David

December 30, 2016 at 3:38 am

My S6 battery can barely make it through 4 hours. I love the phone but I will not replace my Galaxy with a Samsung product.

• chad

December 30, 2016 at 5:54 am

My S6 battery is in the same boat as yours David, Just replaced the phone with the Pixel xl.

• Toby Wilson

December 30, 2016 at 8:14 am

Four hours of internet usage is all I get out of mine and it gets hot after that amount of time. That was a lot of money for that phone.

2. Kevin Rhodes

December 30, 2016 at 4:52 am

That is exactly why I traded in my guest six and bought a Google pixel the battery life on the pixel is superb!

3. Jack Ellis

December 30, 2016 at 5:31 am

Cell phone batteries you cant remove only make those expensive cellphones You get fed up with the phone and buy a new one from the same people Slow down read the specs on the phone b4 you buy it I wpuld rather deal with an armed mugger who is only going to get you once These people are corporate robbers they rob their customers everyday. I take my chance with the Muggers .

4. omerguy

December 30, 2016 at 5:55 am

I don’t know….I have had the S Edge + since it first came out. It has never gotten hot. My battery last through the day. I have notifications from most news networks apps; Netflix that I use at least once a day; a recipe app that is use every 3 or four days to bake bread; Skype and Snapchat. I have not had any problems with battery usage or heating up. Maybe I just got a good one. I don’t know…. Best phone I have ever had and I have a bucket full.

5. mus

December 30, 2016 at 6:19 am

I have had the GS6 for a year and a half. The only time I’ve had battery issues is when my disc space was near full capacity or an app was running unusually high in the background (found SnapChat does this frequently).

You can check what is causing battery drain by going to Settings>Battery then scrolling down. Screen should be at the top followed by Android OS or Google Play Services…anything else near the top needs to be Force Stopped.

6. Tony

December 30, 2016 at 7:00 am

I have a Galaxy S6 Active and it lasts me almost 2 days and never gets hot! Great phone!

7. Paul

December 30, 2016 at 8:44 am

Couldn’t agree more. The inability to allow a replaceable battery based on size limitations is just poor design or a lie. My S6 battery is subpar compared to the S5 and my wifes LG V20. I did notice that certain apps will drain the battery much faster so battery life needs to take into account the software as well as hardware. After uninstalling my Accu weather widget, my battery life gained an extra 15-20% of daily life. Now, as we all know when a year has passed and the battery degrades, I cannot easily swap out for a new battery. This is why I’ll be going to either an LG or Pixel.

8. Bruce

December 30, 2016 at 8:59 am

I have the S6 and the battery typically lasts about 2 days before getting to 15% capacity left. It has never got hot. Don’t have any complaints about the phone. Takes superb pictures.

9. Sergey Slizovskiy

December 30, 2016 at 11:01 am

I use S4 and happy with it. Do not need more. I agree with several reviewers who think S4 is the best. At least, with its current price/quality ratio.

10. Pam

December 30, 2016 at 11:23 am

I have a S6 and battery totally sucks and is good for 3 hours setting idle. The phone gets extremely hot every time I charge it.

11. Hello

December 30, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I’ve owned the S6 since the summer of 2015, and I’ve had problems with random overheating. More often than not, it occurs when I use the phone while charging it for an hour or more at a time. Battery life is tolerable if I keep wifi and data turned off. However, with data and wifi turned on, it needs to be charged two or three times per day.