Save for the Jeep Renegade, all the nameplates from the Jeep brand owe their success primarily to the US market as only about 20 to 25 percent of their total sales come from abroad. This applies to the Jeep Wrangler as well.

However, Jeep isn’t content with that. It intends to branch out and gain a stronger foothold in foreign markets with more than the Renegade alone.

For the next-gen Wrangler to do that, a pickup variant that’s arriving in 2018 should be the answer. Markets in Asia and Europe aren’t like the US; although fuel prices have gone down, there isn’t too much love for full-size pickup trucks.

Smaller to mid-size models such as the Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux, and Ford Ranger are the dominant models around the world. In Asia and Australia, the Ranger and Hilux are constantly neck-to-neck in the sales charts.

2016 Ford Ranger

2016 Ford Ranger

If its cards are played right, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Pickup would be among the more notable names in the international scene. As much as it may encroach on the Ranger’s territory in the global sales chart, the Wrangler ute could face an upset at home when the Blue Oval mid-size truck makes its way into the US alongside the Ford Bronco.

Staff Reporter

DSK is the first choice for the latest technology, gaming and vehicle news.

Robert Ryan · June 13, 2016 at 4:51 am

Unfortunately for FCA, they are rapidly failing and losing market share in Australia, because of many software and technical faults with their SUV Jeeps.

Robert Ryan · June 13, 2016 at 4:55 am

FCA is rapidly losing market share in Australia, over the myriad software and technical problems with Jeeps SUV’s

Doug · June 13, 2016 at 6:40 am

I’d own one if their products didn’t fall apart after 4 years.
Unfortunately all their products are poorly engineered and rank just above Chinese quality standards.

Eric Green · June 13, 2016 at 12:29 pm

My Jeep Wrangler is 5 years old. I wheel with people who have Jeep Wranglers that are 10 years old or older. None of our vehicles have “fallen apart” despite the fact we actually use them as intended (i.e., we drive them offroad regularly).

Robert Ryan · June 13, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Jeep is noted for good dynamics in Australia, but terrible reliability, which is a real shame

Alex Kleist · June 13, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I agree…they have a 4 year life span!! I’ve owned 4 and they were all crap. However, they manage to garner a robust re-sale price than any other 4×4. Since I only keep them within the warranty period, the “crap” issue is less of a concern.

ALS · June 13, 2016 at 9:33 am

But FCA makes junk vehicles.

Troy Steele · June 13, 2016 at 11:15 am

There garbage here in the US and I live 60 miles from detroit

Peter J. Ford · June 13, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I might take a look at the pickup when it comes out, but as much as I love my 1999 XJ, I don’t trust the newer Jeeps.

RoseFlorida · June 14, 2016 at 3:12 am

The Jeep could use the “run forever” or “bullet proof” reputation that the Toyota HiLux has. It takes years to build, and it is not clear Fiat is able to do it.

Comments are closed.