In terms of monthly security patches, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 remains fairly up-to-date as users are on the August security patch (in Europe), but once the Galaxy Note 7 starts taking off again as 2017 beckons, the Note 4 may fade out and join the Note 3 in obscurity.

While it’s understandable that the Note 3 isn’t able to be updated to Android 7.0 Nougat due to its Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor being incompatible with the latest software system, there’s no such excuse for the Note 4.

It uses the Snapdragon 805 chipset which can actually accommodate Nougat; that’s why the Nexus 6 is in line for the update. If there is one party to shoulder all the blame it’s Samsung, or maybe Google – but mostly Samsung.

So, without software and security updates, the Note 4 waves goodbye to Android. Many would surely argue that this tactic of shortening its life-cycle is Samsung forcing users to switch to the Galaxy Note 7, and they’re not wrong. Planned obsolescence has been proven a lucrative tactic.

But the Note 7 is problematic, while the Note 5 directly preceding it lacks expandable storage. There’s really nowhere else for Note 4 owners to turn, so they’ll just have to sit back and keep waving till Android is out of sight.

Staff Reporter

DSK is the first choice for the latest technology, gaming and vehicle news.

Kishor Bhattarai · October 2, 2016 at 8:55 am

I am more inclined to take Windows phone after my Note 4 becomes a liability. Because exchangable battery is a must to me, and i do want to use my phone for about 4 years, not two. Hope Windows will come with lighter and nicer device. I do not play games on my phone so apps number no issues.

Guess · October 2, 2016 at 10:48 am

This would be a great way to poss a lot of people off.

Ricardo Covarrubias · October 2, 2016 at 2:59 pm

I have note 4 , iam waiting for Windows phone . Hopefully the surface phone . Im really done with android phones

MARTA CARD · October 2, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Me too, I will stopnusing Samsung and switch to a windows phone. I will not.go to iphone. Samsung is making a big mistake, just like Apple

R6ex · October 2, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Microsoft Confirms Windows Phones Are Dead for Consumers

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-confirms-windows-phones-are-dead-for-consumers-508770.shtml#ixzz4LzLJ61SK

Mike · October 2, 2016 at 7:40 pm

The note 4 does have a removeable battery. I think you are confused with the note 6 or something. Definitely drop the idea of windows ever having a good phone. Not enough compatibility with Windows.

Jack Swanson · October 3, 2016 at 1:54 pm

What kind of swill are you drinking? The Note 4 definitely does have a removable battery, I have four of them in my fanny pack.

My Note 4 is rooted and still on 4.4.4 which I like…. however, I have the freedom to use any version of Android that I want, willy nilly…

This Article is nothing but swill as the author is just trying to churn up the waters.

Robert Smith · October 3, 2016 at 5:47 am

Understand that this is not a Google or Android issue. The Note 4 is entirely capable of handling Nougat. Rather, this is a Samsung issue, forcing users to buy a new phone to get the latest version of the Android OS. If you think Microsoft will do you any better, have at it, but first look at the progression of Windows on in the PC world. Right now, Windows on a phone is just a step above Blackberry in its viability, and they just announced that they’re throwing in the towel. Me, I plan to either keep my Note 4 and go to an alternative ROM via XDA Developers, or movefrom Samsung to LG. Samsung, I’ve been a customer since the Galaxy series first came out, owning multiple phones and tablets, but it seems time to move on. I still believe in Android, so it is merely moving to hardware I like. Samsung could go the way of HTC in the phone market.

Jeremy W · October 2, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Nice job Samsung. Force users to use a more expensive phone, with less features, which may or may not spontaneously burst into flames. 🙂

This is why XDA was invented. Screw the note 7 (and note 5 for that matter.)

The note 4 is still the best Note ever; period.

(Sent from my ‘obsolete’ Note 4 which could still kick your phone’s ass)

Wayne E Welsh · October 2, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I’ve had three consecutive Samsung phones, Note 2, S4 & Note 4. I like them except for the bloatware and Samsung’s abominable update rate. I’m NOT interested in the Note 7 cause I’m NOT interested in “edge”. I’m very interested in Google’s new larger phone due out next week.

Jesse Zahn · October 2, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Still love my note 4 after 1.5 years. Great all around phone

Uma · October 2, 2016 at 6:14 pm

This is indeed very bad news. I am addicted to my Note 4 and wasn’t planning to change it! In fact, I even ordered a 64 GB SD card. If Samsung is doing this to make us go for Note 7 it is truly tragic! I will miss the 5.7″ screen! I might go for S7 Edge as it has a 5.5″ screen. I am feeling sad for all of us Note 4 users!

linda · October 3, 2016 at 6:01 am

I am sad to because I just had my Note 4 for about 3 months ago and I am still paying on it. When this supposed to start. I wish Samsung would have said something about it last year I wouldn’t have got a Note 4.

NS · October 2, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Check out BLU phones on Amazon Canada. Great phones! Unlocked! Dual SIMM, removable battery,removable SD, octa core 2gb RAM 13mb camera..
Bought the BLU VIVO XL a month ago and LOVE it over my Note 4! Costs $235, delivered to your door from Amazon Canada.They just came out with the XR just after I bought my phone. Looks good. 4 shopping GB of RAM,OCTA CORE, etc..’sells for 390 on Amazon. Thinking together it. They have Windows phones as well as Android.

Winston Griner MD · October 2, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I had a function in Note 4 until 3 weeks prior to the Note 7 release then it locked up all functions … programed obsolescence…many other peoples Note 4 s have shut down from a upgrade program

Sam · October 2, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Eversince I bought my note 4 in December 2015 am still using the android version 4.4.4. My phone has never gotten any update. How can I get my phone updated to the latest versions.

Evil Hack3r · October 2, 2016 at 9:18 pm

This article is ridiculous. Once Samsung apps updating my note 4, I’ll just root it and put whatever I want on it. The note 4 is the best phone Samsung will ever make. Expandable memory removable battery IR Blaster. All things that they will never put on a phone again. Now that it has marshmallow running on it, it’s the best phone I’ve ever had. It’s fast it’s smooth and the battery last 2 days.

Nakia Yang · October 2, 2016 at 9:43 pm

How sad that I will be forced to rid myself of my beloved Note 4. I have no interest in the troublesome Note 7, and will have to use a Note 5, which is, in my mind, a lesser mobile device than my Note 4.

Clayton · October 2, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I’ll just do to my Note 4 what I did to my Note 3…. Root and load sometimes 3rd party ROM from XDA-Developers! That will keep this phone from losing worth for awhile!

Clayton · October 2, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I’ll just do to my Note 4 what I did to my Note 3…. Root and load someone’s 3rd party ROM from XDA-Developers! That will keep this phone from losing worth for awhile!

Tony p · October 2, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Me too, I need a phone with extra batteries. I work all day on my phone.

Tony p · October 2, 2016 at 11:51 pm

Me too, I need a phone with extra batteries. I work all day on my phone.

Ramskallion · October 3, 2016 at 4:20 am

LG V20 is catching my eye for just that reason. I’ll miss the stylus, though.

Valkor · October 2, 2016 at 11:58 pm

I was all set to upgrade to Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 when things went awry for the manufacturer in the market place due to the faulty batteries overheating and catching fire and/or exploding. Like Kishor Bhattarai, I’m more productivity-oriented in using my smartphone; so my inclination is to also check out Microsoft’s rumoured new (Windows 10-based) Surface phones when they come out (presumably in 2017). Good consumer-oriented article. – V

Nick Crossland · October 3, 2016 at 12:21 am

I have gone from the Note 4 to the Note 7, I had it on pre order. In some ways I’m glad I upgraded but in others I’m not. I love the note 7’s battery life which I found lasts noticeably longer than the note 4 but then the note 4 keyboard responded to every tap I gave it unlike note 7’s which misses 40 percent of the time. Yeah I’ve turned off haptic feedback and sounds, turned down screen animation, disabled bloatware …etc…etc but all that this has done is stopped the lag it used to have the screen unresponsiveness remains.

Dogan Yilmaz · October 3, 2016 at 1:46 am

Samsung, releases too many different phone models in every year but unfortunately unable to support them enough on the software side. I bought a Samsung smart phone in the past but will not buy (even consider) another one anymore…

Annette Davenport · October 3, 2016 at 3:42 am

Every product is planned to fail by the manufacturers. That is just part of this worlds GREED and UNFAIRNESS… COMMERCIALISM !

Brenda Knowles · October 3, 2016 at 3:44 am

Note 4 was restored to some vasic functionality by Best Buy geek sqyad at considerable expense…when recently most functions were overlay… dysfunctional.was ready for note 7 thriugh this marketing FORCED OBSOLESCENCE…just recognized.NOW WILL NOT GET NOTE 7.unless it has expandable memory.easy battery exchange as recharge option.etc

linda reid · October 3, 2016 at 4:50 am

Omg!I had my Note 4 for 3 months now, I wish I had known earlier I wouldn’t have a Note 4. I would have went with someone elselse. I still paying on my phone, that sucks.

Jerry · October 3, 2016 at 5:49 am

This is speculation, it is NOT news. Let’s stop blaming Samsung or Google for what this reporter “thinks” will happen. We can all March with pitch forks and shovels when Samsung actually decides to abandon the Note 4.

Rob · October 3, 2016 at 8:41 am

After years of devotion this how you treat us? More like, “Samsung waves goodbye to all its customers.”

Jack Swanson · October 3, 2016 at 1:59 pm

My Note 4 is rooted, using 4.4.4 at the moment.

Going to put 6.0 on it next week just to see if that is worth while…. I have Nandroid backups so I can go back and forth in a heartbeat.

Mike · October 4, 2016 at 12:30 am

Samsung must know that the note 4 is phone that they should be keeping upgrades for as it’s a better all round phone than the note 5 hopefully upgrade will keep coming through to us all …..well we can hope ..m☺

Comments are closed.